Thank you so much for continuing to play, test, and give feedback on Hearthstone as the closed beta testing phase begins to draw to a close. We are monitoring card balance over time, and without your continued testing efforts, we wouldn’t have the necessary data we need in order to make changes to cards that may warrant them. This should be our last big set of balance changes; once we go live, we plan to make very few card changes, and only if they are absolutely necessary.
We will be making changes to the following cards: , , , , , , , ,
. ’ mana cost is now 2 (down from 4)
’s mana cost is now 10 (up from 8)
- was intended to give Hunters their own form of AoE and to have synergy with other beast cards, but its old cost was too prohibitive.
is now a 0/1 and now reads: Stealth. At the end of your turn, give another random friendly minion +1 Health.
- The 8-cost made for an un-interactive experience where the Mage only needed to do 10 damage during the course of a game and then double you for the win. We want Mages to be more interactive with the opponent to achieve victory, rather than delay the game until they can .
has been reworked and now reads: Whenever you play a minion with 3 or less Attack, give it . (the spell, not the keyword) has been reworked and now costs 3 mana. The card’s new power reads: “Give a friendly minion +2 Attack and ”.
- The Warlock has three very strong 1-cost minions and that made the Warlock rush deck slightly stronger than we were comfortable with.
now reads: Battlecry: Give a minion +2 Attack until end of turn.
- Both of these cards were key components in “One Turn Kill” or “OTK” decks that kill your opponent in one turn without requiring any cards on the board. We want the game to be about playing minions and fighting for board control rather than just waiting until you can play your big combo and win in one turn with no interaction from your opponent.
’s buff now only lasts until the end of the turn.
- was changed to make its power the same as the and to give it additional versatility.
is now a 2/3 (down from 3/3)
- This change was made to reduce the ’s overall power slightly. We also wanted to make the Battlecry effect the same as ‘s as to not force you to permanently buff one of your opponent’s creatures.
is now a 1/1 (down from 1/2)
- was a card that found itself automatically included in many decks due to its power and stats. We want players to have an option of what cards they put in their decks, so cards that feel like they must be in all decks (especially Neutral ones) are not ideal.
’s mana cost is now 6 (up from 5)
- The was played in most non-rush decks (and even some rush decks) due to its cost and power. Similar in reasoning to our change, we want players to have an option of what cards they put in their decks.
- Sylvanas had power and stats that made it a bit too powerful compared to other 5-cost cards, which made it automatically included in many decks. We want players to have an option of what cards they put in their decks, so cards that feel like they must be in all decks (especially Neutral ones) are not ideal.
Expert cards that are being changed can be disenchanted for their full cost for a limited time when the patch goes live. We hope these changes will increase the variety of cards you will see at all levels of play, and make playing Hearthstone a more fun and interactive game for everyone.